Biking is a favorite pastime for many residents of the sunshine state. Great weather, scenic routes, and smooth terrain make biking an enjoyable experience. Unfortunately, Florida is also the most dangerous state for bicycle accidents. At Martin Law Firm, P.L., our attorneys represent injured bicyclists throughout the state of Florida and have helpful tips for bike riders and vehicle drivers on preventing bike accidents.
Tips For Bike Riders
Bike riders must be on constant alert when traveling on Florida roads. While a bike rider has the same rights as motor vehicle drivers, the bicyclist is much more likely to be injured in a collision.
Tips for bike riders include:
- Bicyclists need to make themselves easily visible, especially when traveling at night
- Bicyclists need to be aware of their surroundings at all times and refrain from using ear pods, headphones, or anything else that will distract them while cycling
- Travel in groups when possible, but be careful not to overlap your front wheel with the rear wheel in front of you
- When possible, avoid busy streets and areas that are not conducive to bicycling
- Always travel in the same direction as traffic
- Avoid the blind spots of motor vehicle drivers
Tips For Motor Vehicle Drivers
Ensuring the safety of bicycle riders is a responsibility shared between bike riders and motor vehicle drivers. Cars, trucks, and other motor vehicle drivers and their passengers are much better insulated than a bicycle rider when a collision occurs, and because of this, some drivers take a more relaxed approach when they see a bicyclist. In truth, bicyclists have as much right to our roadways, and drivers should be aware and focus on the safety of all parties to avoid a crash. Specific tips for motor vehicle drivers include:
- Do not engage in distracted driving
- Do not engage in driving while fatigued or under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Yield the right of way to bicyclists
- Do not drive in a lane meant for bicyclists
- Understand bicyclists have the same right to be on the road as you do and respect their space and lane they are traveling in
- Obey the speed limit
- Always check the surroundings behind your vehicle before reversing
- Prior to opening a car door when parked next to a traffic lane, check to be certain there is not a bicyclist approaching from either direction
Florida Bike Accident Statistics
Following are bike accident statistics from the Florida Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) for the year 2021:
- Total number of bicycle crashes: 6,400
- Total number of bicycle fatalities: 186
- Injuries from bicycle crashes: 5,970
Speak With A Florida Bike Accident Attorney At Martin Law Firm, P.L.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bike accident, contact an attorney at Martin Law Firm, P.L., to find out how we can assist you in recovering the compensation you deserve. We can be reached via our contact page.